It is that time of year: Summer is coming to an end and hunting season is just around the corner.
Right now, I imagine most hunters are feverishly preparing gear and stepping up their archery or rifle practice for the coming season. I also imagine that most hunting families are feverishly trying to use up the remaining game meat in the freezer before a new supply arrives.
This is the perfect time of year to enjoy the last warm days of summer and grill some wild game. Here is one of our favorite late summer wild game recipes from Ladies Legion member Lindsay Christensen.
- 1 pound of elk sausage
- 1 quart of marina sauce
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 8-12 ounces of grated mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
Cook the Meat
- Brown the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the sausage starts to brown, add in the onions and mushrooms.
- When the onions begin to soften, add in the marinara sauce and simmer.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium heat.
- Cut the zucchini into ¾-1 inch thick disks.
- Coat the zucchini in olive oil to prevent grill stickage.
- Place the zucchini disks on the grill. Flip when grill marks appear.
- Remove the zucchini from the grill and transfer to a cookie sheet or tinfoil once the centers start to soften.
- Spoon the sausage marina mixture onto the zucchini disks and top them with grated mozzarella.
- Place the loaded disks back on the grill and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the disks from the grill and serve with your favorite side dishes.